the 1920s, motor cars used wheels which looked at a
glance like artillery wheels but which were of forged
steel. These were usually called artillery wheels. By the 1930s they were obsolete having been
replaced by wheels pressed from heavy-gauge steel sheet
or in sports cars and lightweight cars, by wire spokes.
While many restored Model T's proudly display varnished
wood spokes, these were not available off the assembly
line. They look great but will cost judging points if
you are in any competitions. The correct color of course
for the 1924 is black.
The demountable rim
helped to ease the motorist's mind about flat tires, not
because of the tire being puncture proof, but because a
spare tire ready to be mounted could easily be carried
on the car. Note in the picture the four nuts that could
be unscrewed to remove the tire. The wooden spokes would
occasionally become dry and loosen, thus necessitating
driving the car in the creek for the spokes to swell and
tighten. After the clincher
rim, the demountable rim was
introduced. This had a steel rim around the wooden
spokes and another steel rim inside the tire. The tire
was attached to the wheel by four lug bolts on the wheel
rim. This design allowed the owner to carry a spare on
the back of his car.
wheels carried all Black tires, with treads front and
rear for all years. Demountable wheels, which were
offered as an option starting in 1919, were 30" X 3
1/2" for all four wheels.
From 1917 through 1927 inner tube stems where brass with
nickel plated rim washers and nickel plated dust covers.
spokes look good, but are not factory original.